On July 2, 2021, Rosatom awarded a 1.3 million Rubles (USD 17,830) contract for drafting the official statement of the Russian Federation according to the 1998 Guidelines for the Management of Plutonium. Paragraphs 14 (ii) and 14 (iii) of the Guidelines envisage annual declarations regarding stockpiles of civil unirradiated plutonium and plutonium contained in civil spent civil reactor fuel. The contract was awarded to Rosatom company Atombezopasnost through a non-competitive procurement procedure.
According to the contract, the contractor will:
– Prepare the log of Rosatom organizations handling plutonium and draft written requests for providing data on plutonium quantities to be approved by Rosatom Deputy Director-General for Defense Nuclear Complex and sent to the organization handling plutonium;
– Gather and systematize data on plutonium stockpiles provided by organizations handling plutonium, compare the data to data available in the state register and resolve inconsistencies (if any);
– Draft declarations on plutonium stockpiles to be submitted to the IAEA.
The Guidelines for the Management of Plutonium were introduced by notes verbales to the IAEA from Permanent Missions of Belgium, China, France, Germany, Japan, the Russian Federation, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the USA in November-December 1997. They were introduced in the Russian legislation by a governmental decree on January 24, 1998.
1. Procurement # 210623/0451/133. Providing Services for "Preparing Draft Statement of the Russian Federation According to Paragraphs ii) and iii) of the Article 14 of the Guidelines for the Management of Plutonium Adopted by the Russian Federation through the Decree #82 of the Government of the Russian Federation from January 24, 1998,"
. January 15, 2021.
2. Communication Received from the Certain Member States Concerning Their Policies Regarding the Management of Plutonium
. March 16, 1998.
3. Decree of the Russian Government #82 on adopting the Guidelines for the Management of Plutonium by the Russian Federation
. January 24, 1998.