On May 12-13, 2021, All-Russian Research Institute for Nuclear Power Plants Operation (VNIIAES) hosted a seminar "Possible Computer Attacks and Insider Threats to the Information Security of Automated Process Control Systems of the Nuclear Power Plants". Among the participants of the seminar were cybersecurity officers from the Russian NPPs, as well as representatives of Rosatom subsidiaries Rosenergoatom, Eleron, Rusatom Automated Control Systems, ASE, and CONSYST-Communication Provider.
The presentations covered different aspects of cybersecurity of automated process control systems (APCS). Among the topics announced by the organizers were: a review of the IAEA requirements and the development of an effective system of prevention of information security threats to the APCS of the NPPs.
Representative of the Russian Federal Service for Technical and Export Control – a national cybersecurity regulator – briefed the participants on the information security threat assessment. Cybersecurity management and the latest industry developments were covered by the speakers from cybersecurity companies Cisco, Cyberlympha, Kaspersky Lab, ASP Labs, and Positive Technologies. The participants noted an increase in the number of cyberattacks against the critical information infrastructure worldwide and the shortage of qualified cybersecurity specialists.
The seminar was organized by the Center for cybersecurity of APCS of Rosenergoatom created at VNIIAES in 2017 and the Moscow Regional Centre of World Association of Nuclear Operators.
The Center for cybersecurity of APCS of Rosenergoatom at VNIIAES provides expert support on information security issues to the Russian NPPs operators as well as to other operators like Atomflot, including assessments of their information security. The background information and other Russian Nuclear Security Update news on the topic can be found here:
– "Rosatom Establishes Methodological Center for Cybersecurity", November 2018 Issue http://russiannuclearsecurity.com/november2018issue#rec98662776
– "Rosatom Assesses Protection of NPP Industrial Control Systems Against Cyberattacks", September 2019 Issue http://russiannuclearsecurity.com/september2019issue#rec134476749
– "Rosatom Assessed Protection of NPPs Automated Process Control Systems Against Cyberattacks", September-October 2020 Issue http://russiannuclearsecurity.com/september-october2020issue#rec246706604
– "Rosatom Assesses Cyber Security of Nuclear Icebreaker Arctic
", November 2020 Issue http://russiannuclearsecurity.com/november2020issue#rec256695246
1. Protection of the Nuclear Power Plants Against Cyberthreats Will Be Discussed at VNIIAES
. April 27, 2021.
2. Issues of Cybersecurity of APCS of NPPs were Discussed at VNIIAES
. May 17, 2021